- 7:00 to 8:30 AM ‒ All riders register their arrival and pick up packets at Jensen Point Park on Vashon Island (8900 SW Harbor Drive). Saturday, September 9, 2017
- 8:00 to 9:00 AM ‒ Riders start slowly (the smart ones) from Jensen Point Park, in small groups or as preregistered teams. Look for the giant Rowing Club Trailer in the Jensen Point parking lot.
- 2:00 PM ‒ BBQ begins at Jensen Point Park
- 4:00 PM ‒ All riders head for the finish from wherever they are on the course ‒ it's time to eat! Remember, this is all just a long ride to the BBQ. Don't worry, "Smokin Pete's" never lets anyone go home hungry. Additional BBQs can be preregistered for friends and family ($12 each).
- 4:30 PM ‒ All 18 Checkpoints close. (The volunteers have been standing on the side of the roads for hours ‒ hey, they want to get to the BBQ too!)
- 6:30 PM ‒ BBQ ends. Everyone will be tired of everyone's stories, so everyone tries to find their bike and car, and heads for home.
- 7:00 PM ‒ Jensen Point Park closes until 2016!
Course info, and safety:
- Pace Yourself – Really! This is not a race or timed ride. There are no winners or prizes. In fact, the first one back is given the “Hot Spatula Award”, and gets to work for the first 10 minutes at the BBQ.
- Descend Hills Slowly! Roads are in bad shape: gravel, broken pavement…
- Stay To The Right! Narrow roads with riders and cars coming the other way! You’ll think you’re on some one-lane roads – you’re not! Every road is 2 way!!
- Follow P2P Road Signs & Map
- Please Don’t Ride as a Peloton. Riders start over an hour in groups of 3 & 4 to respect others using Vashon roads (cars, horses, walkers, tractors, deer, etc.)
- Ride All the Hills in Order. Please don’t short-cut the course or by-pass a hill.
- Bring Lots of Food & Water on the Bike. Eat & drink it all day long.
- Bring a Mobile Phone!
- If you Drop Out, Please Tell a Volunteer! or text 206-200-4199
Getting to Jensen Point Park:
3 different Washington State Ferries will get you to Vashon (maybe skip their Breakfast Burrito)
- Departs Fauntleroy/West Seattle. 6:50, 7:05, 8:25 AM
- Tacoma/Point Defiance. 6:45, 7:35 AM
- Southworth 6:50, 7:35 AM
Drive to the Burton Peninsula near Jensen Point Park, and park on the side of the road rather than in the Park's parking lot. See attached map. Despite the extra cost, we really recommend driving. For some reason, the road back to the ferry is 5 to 6 times longer...
For those inquiring about walk-on ferry service:
Passport2Pain cannot offer pick-up service in the morning, but we will offer to take bikes (on the club's rowing shell trailer) and people (in a small service bus) back to the north end ferry (Vashon to Faunterloy/Southworth) after the conclusion of the BBQ.
Waivers and ID:
- You just know we'll get you to sign a waiver for this event - either on the website when you register, or on paper the day of (if walk-up registration is still available).
- Bring your ID. Riders under 18 need a parent's signature (honestly, what parent would...) and BRING A PHONE, for emergency selfies.
What to wear, What to wear??
- The Island can be chilly, so wear extra clothes. We'll have 5 different clothing drop spots along the way. Your stuff will magically appear back at the BBQ.
What to Bring?
- Your "A" Game, and any special food or hydration needs you have. Oh, and a really light bike helps.
What do you get?
- Every rider will receive a P2P T-shirt and water bottle, a ticket to the BBQ, a rider number and a course map and ‒ best of all ‒ all kinds of good food at the checkpoints.
And there's that thing about pride in having completed the toughest course in Puget Sound.
Rider Referral Reward:
- Every time someone registers for P2P and puts your name in the box that asks who referred them, we will enter another ticket with your name on it in a special “Rider Referrer” drawing for a $50 gift certificate to Vashon’s May Kitchen + Bar, “the best Thai restaurant in Seattle” (The Stranger) and a “Top 100 Best Restaurants in America” (Open Table).
To Friends and Families of riders:
While your Weenie, Weasel or Idiot is out on the course proving it, there's much for you to do on Vashon ‒ beaches and hiking parks everywhere, and events to attend. The Sheepdog Classic will be happening and much more. We'll send out details to every rider as the date arrives. Oh, don't count on your rider saying much on the way home.