Make Your Community Group Part of P2P!
The Vashon Island Rowing Club wants to increase the benefits that Passport2Pain brings to our community. P2P puts many extra cars on the ferries and the parking strips of the Burton Peninsula, covers Island roads with hundreds of bike riders, and takes up space in several Island parks, so we are grateful for the goodwill that makes this event possible. Since the community is supporting P2P by putting up with it, P2P supports the community as well as the Rowing Club.
We are looking for more Vashon community groups to manage P2P Checkpoints, where riders get their Passports stamped to prove they have conquered a particularly nasty hill, and where they pick up some nourishment to help them on their way. They are also where a lot of the fun happens – for the riders and for the Checkpoint teams.
In the early years of P2P, volunteers from the Rowing Club staffed the Checkpoints. Many of them (the checkpoints, not the volunteers) were pretty utilitarian affairs: a couple of people with ink pads and silly stamps handing out a few snacks. But imagination soon took hold, and over the years the Checkpoints have become much more than that. Some of them are events unto themselves – costume parties that make this ride the most unique and memorable in the Pacific Northwest.
Past riders will recall the creepy dentists under the “Your Pain is Our Pleasure” banner, the inmates of the Insane Asylum, the Men in Black with their neutralizer to erase your discomfort, the Opt-Out Checkpoint with recliner chairs for those who were ready to call it quits, and the penguins at the South Pohl Road Checkpoint, to mention a few of the themes that have emerged. And then there were those chocolate-covered banana chunks in little cups….
So here’s the deal for Vashon community groups:
What you get:
- Publicity for your group: mentions and credits on the P2P website, in our social media feeds, and on signs at the start//finish area, plus exposure to all the riders and others who pass by your Checkpoint
- A team-building, imagination-pumping, fun-having project for your members
- $250 in cash money from P2P for your non-profit group.
What you need to do:
- Think about a theme for your Checkpoint that supports your organization and is fun for the riders, and any special food you want to offer (we provide basic snacks and water).
- Schedule your members to help build your props and costumes.
- Let us know if you want to offer customized food.
- Show up with your crew on September 8th ready to play your part in P2P!